GDL > PHX Residencias Artísticas is an artist residency and cultural exchange program between the cities of Phoenix, Arizona and Guadalajara, Jalisco organized by CALA Alliance (Celebración Artística de las Americas), ASU Art Museum and PAOS GDL (Programa Anual de Open Studios).
It offers fully-sponsored residencies to artists from Guadalajara to travel and work in Phoenix, Arizona and Latinx artists from Phoenix to travel and work in Guadalajara, Jalisco. Artists develop creative projects and present public programs that establish a dialogue between both cities. This is the only program in Arizona dedicated to supporting international residencies for Latinx artists.
- Provide opportunities for artists to grow their creative practice, experiment with new approaches, and investigate complex cultural contexts.
- Establish a dialogue between Phoenix and Guadalajara contemporary art scenes to create deeper cultural and artistic knowledge.
- Residencies are for six weeks and include roundtrip airfare, housing, per diem and production/materials stipends.
- Artist housing in Guadalajara is provided at Museo Taller José Clemente Orozco, the former studio and residence of the Mexican muralist.
- Artists selected for this program are in emerging to mid-career stages and work in the visual and performing arts, including: painting, sculpture, photography, film, new media, installation, video, performance art, interdisciplinary arts, and social practice.
- Artist residents are encouraged to develop artistic and educational projects in collaboration with the local community. Program partners will facilitate local connections and relationships.
- Residencies include studio space access, visits with curators and art professionals, and participation in a variety of public programs.
- Residencies may include exhibition, performance or public showing opportunities.
APPLICATION FOR PHOENIX ARTISTS:
Emerging to mid-career Latinx artists may apply. At the time an application is submitted:
- Applicant must be a resident of Phoenix, Arizona
- Applicant must have the ability to travel to and from Mexico
Deadline to complete the online application is 11:59PM on Thursday, April 18, 2019. Participants will be notified by mid-May 2019. Guadalajara residency dates are in July-August 2019.
- Applicants submit application by the April 18 deadline.
- CALA Alliance staff reviews applications to ensure eligibility.
- Submissions are reviewed by a committee of artists and arts professionals.
- The panel evaluates each artist’s materials and selects 3-5 finalists.
- The host organization in Guadalajara, PAOS GDL, makes the final artist selection.
- Selected applicant is notified by mid-May 2019.
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Impact: Applicant demonstrates potential impact to his/her personal practice and body of work;
- Artistic Strength: Applicant demonstrates vision, originality and excellence.
- Cultural Competency: Applicant demonstrates cultural sensibility and readiness to participate in an international experience.